To guide the design of our experiential learning game prototype we conducted workshops with caregivers, storywriters, and health students. Below are the materials that we used in our workshops.
Participatory Design Workshops with Caregivers, Story Writers, and Students
We conducted content development workshops with caregivers, story writers, and health students. The aim of this workshop was to develop content ideas (stories) for physical activity promotion in families.
- Story development workshops
Participatory Design Workshops with PHTH 6204 (Society, Behavior & Health) Students
We conducted (1) content development workshops, and (2) prototype design workshops with health sciences students. The aim of these workshops was to develop content ideas (stories) for physical activity promotion in families as well as to refine our existing prototype’s design.
- Story development workshop
- Participatory design workshop
- S Marshall and H Biddle. 2001. The transtheoretical model of behavior change: a meta-analysis of applications to physical activity and exercise. Annals of Behavioral Medicine.
- J Prochaska and W Velicer. 1997. The Transtheoretical Model of Health Behavior Change. American Journal of Health Promotion 12
- James F Sallis, Judith J Prochaska, and Wendell C Taylor. 2000. A review of correlates of physical activity of children and adolescents. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 32, 5: 963–975.
- Herman Saksono, Ashwini Ranade, Geeta Kamarthi, et al. 2015. Spaceship Launch: Designing a Collaborative Exergame for Families. Proceedings of the 18th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing (CSCW ’15), ACM, 1776–1787.
- Herman Saksono and Andrea Grimes Parker. 2017. Reflective Informatics Through Family Storytelling: Self-discovering Physical Activity Predictors. Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems – CHI ’17, ACM, 5232–5244.
- Gustavo F Tondello, Dennis L. Kappen, Elisa D. Mekler, Marim Ganaba, and Lennart E. Nacke. 2016. Heuristic Evaluation for Gameful Design. Proceedings of the 2016 Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play Companion Extended Abstracts – CHI PLAY Companion ’16, 315–323.2968120.2987729
- Stewart G Trost, Neville Owen, Adrian E Bauman, James F Sallis, and Wendy Brown. 2002. Correlates of adults’ participation in physical activity: review and update. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 34, 12: 1996–2001.
- Daisy Yoo, et al. 2013. A Value Sensitive Action-Reflection Model: Evolving a Co-Design Space with Stakeholder and Designer Prompts. CHI 2013, ACM.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant Number #1618406.